Towards a Greener Future

On Feb. 11th, I had the opportunity to attend a tour of SewGreen, located in the Commons. This store is especially interesting to me, as I plan on combining my major in AEM with my minor in Environmental and Sustainability Sciences. The founder spoke to us about how the store was created based on need. With her environmentally conscious mindset, she fulfilled the need of people wanting to learn to sew by starting a store that allowed individuals to donate their sewing materials for others to use instead of disposing of it. The store then sells the materials at a discounted rate in order to promote the use of recycled materials.

During part of the conversation, the owner asked all of us what we are studying and how we can use our interests and knowledge to contribute to a more sustainable world. With a broad range of majors represented from CS to chemistry, it was really awesome to hear everyone talk about how they can help move us towards a greener future. Additionally, we spoke about fast fashion vs. sustainable clothing brands, which was a good reminder for me to be more conscious of where I buy my clothes from considering how easy it is to forget about where clothes come from. Overall, the trip to SewGreen reminded me of how excited I am to combine my academic interests.