The Super Bowl!

Last week I watched the Super Bowl in the Rose Main Dining Room. The actual football game was incredible, one of the best in history because of the Patriots overcoming a 25-point deficit, and going on to win it in overtime. My first thought when I realized that this was the only Super Bowl to go to overtime was how incredible that really was. Given that there have been 51 Super Bowls, it seems incredible that only this one has gone to overtime. During the regular season, the percentage of games that go to overtime is greater than ~2%.

In addition to the crazy game, we got to see a lot of very expensive ads. I did a quick look up, and the 30-second spots cost on average $5 million. However, it did not seem like the quality of ads was as good as in previous years, which could be the result of cable television slowly dying in popularity. A few of the ads seemed to be direct political statements against some of our President’s policies, and that led me to think again about where we stand as a nation.