A Great Movie to Watch Many Times

Last Friday, I watched the film Fight Club. This was actually my first time watching the movie, although from what I saw, I really feel like it is the type of movie that should be watched multiple times. There was so much going on, and I know that I didn’t catch all of it. Plus, there are pieces of the movie early on that hint at the things to come–such as the brief flashes of Tyler’s character before we even met him. To be honest, when I first saw them, I just thought it was some sort of glitch in the film. Now that I realize that it was intentional, I would really like to go back and re-watch that part to find out what was happening when those brief flashes occurred.

I’ll admit that I’m not very good at analyzing anything after just one viewing–I need to see something at least twice–however I could tell that there were many messages that the movie was trying to express. For instance, the idea that we shouldn’t fixate on material goods was addressed: the protagonist initially seemed to be more interested in his Ikea furniture than his own life. What really interested me, though, was the whole twist about who Tyler really was. I felt like it showed that we all have multiple parts to our personality–although obviously it is not usually that extreme. One side of us may want to just do fun activities all of the time, while another part of us acknowledges the need for us to spend time on our classes, so that we can learn. I think that many times these different parts of us can be in conflict with one another (who hasn’t procrastinated on an assignment in order to do something more enjoyable?). We must all eventually learn which parts of us to listen to at what times–particularly if, like the protagonist in Fight Club, there are parts of us that wish to tend toward the extreme.

I could certainly go on about this film–there was a lot in it–but I really feel like I need more information. So, overall, I recommend watching this movie if you haven’t seen it already, and if you have, I recommend watching it again. I am almost certain that you will catch something that you missed last time.