Home Economics: Mandatory?

This semester’s first Rose Cafe speaker was Eileen Keating, the archivist for the Human Ecology school at Cornell. It was amazing to finally have a female speaker and to also specifically have her talk about something so relevant yet so unknown to most Cornellians and Rose Scholars- the history of the College of Hum Ecology and Flora Rose and how the school began with a focus on Home Economics in CALS. I thought this was extremely interesting and admired how relevant it was to Cornell’s motto “any person, any study” as it was inclusive and empowering for women.

The talk raised an interesting question of whether a Home Economics course should be required for all students. Considering that Cornell has so many other graduation requirements such as the swim test, taking PE classes, and freshman writing seminars which intend to develop crucial life skills such as physical activity, health and wellbeing and vital communication and writing skills, I don’t see why there shouldn’t be a required Home Econ course. As an international student who grew up with maids, I actually struggled a lot during my first college semester with basic “adult” tasks like doing laundry, cooking, staying organized and cleaning my room. I realize that a lot of domestic students are brought up learning how to do those things, however I think there should at least be a basic seminar, such as perhaps a 1 credit course with biweekly speaker events. At the very least, if not mandatory, there should at least be some sort of optional course. I know the Hotel School has a Personal Finance class which teaches students important basic life skills like understanding what a 401k is, how to pay taxes, social security information and just personal budgeting. Therefore, it would make sense for there to be something similar for incoming freshman to learn how to do basic chores and manage their lives away from home through a Home Economics course. I am undecided about whether it should be mandatory or not but there should at least be an option, in my opinion.

One thought on “Home Economics: Mandatory?

1. I actually wrote a blog post about this too, and I absolutely agree with you! Even as a domestic student, the transition to independence in college was not very easy. It’s hard to take care of yourself and do everything on your own when you’ve been completely reliant on someone else for pretty much the whole pre-college chapter of your life. I think there should definitely be a pass-fail Home Economics class — in my blog post I said I thought it should be mandatory, but I’m just now changing my mind. I think it should probably be optional, because there are of course plenty of students that have been pretty independent before college and don’t need to learn how to organize, do the laundry, and balance budgets. So that’s my newly revised opinion.