An Unending Gratitude

I remember writing a somewhat scathing blog post about the last Rose Cafe of first semester, noting that there had only been one female speaker throughout the entire semester. I was more surprised than actually offended, because I doubted it was an intentional slight, but I am very pleased that the first speaker this year was not only a woman, but a woman who spoke about women’s issues.

Whenever I hear about the injustices women faced in the past just for daring to desire equal rights, I feel blindsided. It’s easy to feel comfortable because of one’s current reality, and in my personal life I have never faced staunch sexism. But hearing the stories of Flora Rose and Martha van Rensselaer reminded me of that not-so-distant past where women were not even allowed to pursue education. Martha’s story in particular moved me, because she was one of the first people to directly appeal to women in the public about their education. Her bulletins “Advice for Farmer’s Wives” contained information and lessons that the women in the area had directly asked to be informed about, and for the first time in many of these women’s lives, they were able to learn information directly relevant to their needs.

These bulletins grew into a few courses on Home Economics, which grew into a department, and eventually a college in the university. This process had been overseen largely by women, notably Martha and Flora Rose. Listening to this story and the vast time span that it encompassed made me wonder how these women had the patience to wait for equality, but I understand that it was necessary. And it’s not like those two women were standing idly by; they were actively pushing back against stereotypes and fighting for women’s education. And it made a huge difference. I am grateful to these women, and all of the women who fought for women’s rights–so that I may now be treated so equally that I occasionally forget that women used to be considered “lesser” human beings.