Women’s March or Anti-Trump Protest?

I went to the table talk: Women Unite! It provided for a very interesting discussion to hear from the GRFs about their experiences in the women’s march. I thought it was particularly intriguing to hear about how there were so many people there for reasons other than just women’s rights. When it came up that there were even people in the march who voted for Trump, it seemed hypocritical to at least a few of the students in the discussion. This did seem strange, considering the march essentially acted as an anti-Trump protest. However, it could have been that the Trump supporters either regretted their votes or thought Trump was the lesser of two evils at the time, so to speak.

One thing seemed clear to me by the end of the discussion. The women’s march in Washington was not just a women’s march, but instead more broad in nature. It was basically a protest against the divisive campaign that Trump ran. It was a protest against the various things Trump had said about women, minorities, the LGBT community, etc. I believe peaceful protests are really good and serve a purpose. However, the talk made me also want to consider the alternate ways in which one can actively make a difference in politics. One piece of useful info I picked up in relation to this was that you can call your representative!