Hollywood in Ithaca

Over the past weekend, I had the privilege of attending Sabor Latino’s 27th Annual Dance Showcase, entitled “Hollywood Night.” I was thrilled to see the show, as I had heard great things about Sabor before (mostly because of a friend who is a member of the group) and had very much enjoyed Bachata music in the past — although only casually — when my friends would play it as we were cooking or doing work together. “Hollywood Night” started off a bit slow, with a long introduction filled with Snapchat videos and pictures of the team rehearsing and bonding, as if showing the audience the hard work that they had put into perfecting their dances. However, when the dancing started, it spoke for itself. Each song was expertly choreographed, accented by intricate flips and spins and rapid movement around the stage. There was never a dull moment during the performance (…except perhaps during the long breaks between songs where the MCs would crack jokes about the dance group or other topics, but I won’t go into that here) and I appreciated how Sabor gave other dance teams a platform to share their dances as well. Afrobeats, Teszia, and the Caribbean Island Fusion groups all had the audience spellbound throughout their entire performances, and the entire auditorium erupted in applause at the end of each of their numbers. While I had not been to many dance performances before “Hollywood Night” — and did not expect to enjoy the concert as much as I did — I plan to check out many more dance groups’ showcases in the future.