Sniffles, Stickers, & Mrs. Sarah

On my fourth visit to BJM, I was reminded of the fact that not every visit has to be something grand and unique or mean anything specific at all— sometimes a simple afternoon is meaningful all on its own. I enjoyed sitting in the Craft Room, one of my favorite places, alongside Mrs. Sarah, the sweetest companion, watching over all the young students as they colored and played.

Mrs. Sarah and I chatted as always, laughing softly as we always did at silliest of things. We talked about thanksgiving and all the yummy food it involved. She told me about all the dishes that she prepares for her children and grandchildren and how long and hard she works to get it all done. I smiled as I always do as I listen to her, feeling as if I was listening to the stories of my own grandmother.

A sniffle was heard from the sweet little girl coloring next to me. I asked if she needed a tissue to take care of those sniffles, but she shook her head and handed me a marker. “Color with me!”

Stickers were given from one little hand to other little hands. I told the kids to be kind and share but not to use up all of the stickers, and they responded with a little hesitance but great positivity. “Want a sticker?”

It was a restful, mellow afternoon—one that kept my spirits uplifted for the rest of the week.