Writing and Drawing with Crayons

During my third week at BJM, I volunteered in the Arts and Sciences room. There were two kids who weren’t really doing anything in particular so I asked them if they would like to sit down at a table and play some board games. Although we did play a couple games, the kids weren’t really in the mood and wanted to just draw and play with crayons. After a few minutes of them just smashing crayons around in a bucket of crayons, one began to write sentences on what he did that day and one drew his favorite foods. I found it surprising how curious the child writing notes was to write everything he did perfectly. For example, he used to write that he ran around in the gym and that he ate pizza. However, if he couldn’t spell a word, he asked me for help and I spelled a bunch of words out for him and also wrote them on a separate sheet of paper so he could copy them. I was intrigued by his desire to learn how to write well and it made me feel great that I was helping him how to write and spell at such an early point in his life.