More Ties

During my last Rose Scholar event this semester, I learned how to tie a tie and also heard other people’s experiences wearing ties and tying them. It was very cool to hear what type of events people wear ties. It was also interesting to hear how some people haven’t even worn a tie in the past few months or years. So, it was a great refresher to learn how to tie a tie, especially a bow tie. Not only was it a valuable skill to learn for formal events, but we also enjoyed learning how to tie a tie. We helped each other out and it was much more enjoyable than simply just learning to tie a tie. In the midst of learning, one student shared a unique, faster way to tie a tie which caught all of our attentions. Someone even mentioned that they were going to use that method now on. Overall, it was a great time to learn a skill and I look forward to other events like this in which we learn while helping each other and enjoying the experience.

2 thoughts on “More Ties

1. I completely agree: it was much more fun to do it as a group rather than alone! Rather than having my difficulty turn into anxiety, being in a group allowed me to turn it into laughter and fun since I wasn’t the only one struggling.
    I personally don’t think I’ll be using this skill anytime soon; I can think of only a few situations where I’ll be using ties in the future. Regardless of that, though, I also think it was a great time to learn a (to me, ‘random’) skill like this 🙂

2. I didn’t go to the event, but I was in the room next door. I briefly saw y’all learning how to tie a tie and then doing it yourself. It seems like you guys were having a lot of fun and were genuinely engaged in this activity. It was nice to see how one event can bring folks together. I hope there’ll be another event like this next semester.