Destress and Pumpkin Carving.

Carving pumpkins immediately brought me back to when I was eight years old and carving them in class for the first time. It was one of the most interesting experiences. Before coming to the event, I was feeling kind of stressed since I hadn’t gotten that much work done and Monday was quickly approaching. However, as soon as my knife sunk into the skin of the pumpkin, I immediately felt like how I was when I was eight years old and learning about Halloween in elementary school.

It made me think a lot about how much of an effect activities that we may consider “mundane” actually have a profound connection to how we feel and the memories associated with that activity. I wonder how many possible activities could immediately bring back those feelings from memories that I formed so long ago. For example, thinking back to elementary school, I wonder how it would feel to make those thanksgiving turkeys that we formed with paint and our handprints. Would it feel stupid or would it be comforting? It’s definitely something to think about as I get older and those memories seem more and more distant.

2 thoughts on “Destress and Pumpkin Carving.

1. I completely agree! I had the same experience with pumpkin carving when I was little and while I did not go to the event, from your vivid response I was able to envision myself what it was like. I heard from my little siblings back home for the first time in two months this weekend. Thus, all of those childhood memories came back to me as I heard about what they did in grade school and how they enjoyed trick-or-treating and dressing up. Thanks for sharing your cathartic experience!

2. Prior this event, I had never carved a pumpkin as I was scared of cutting myself with the knife. However, I found that it was quite fun and easy once you actually get started. I also thought that it was a great way to de-stress during prelim season. ^_^