Above and Beyond

Friday night, my friends and I went on a trip to the Fuertes Observatory. I’ve never been to an observatory before, so I wasn’t sure what to expect when climbing up the stairs to the dome. It was dark inside and didn’t notice the big telescope at first. Fortunately, I saw many people taking turns to look through it. When it was my turn, I got to see Saturn and its rings. It was really grainy to the point where I thought it was just a picture. However, everyone there reassured me that I was actually seeing Saturn. We were also gifted in seeing a meteorite that night, which was awesome because I’ve never seen one before.

The ambiance at the observatory was relaxing and quiet, which was great to experience in the slightly cold weather. People would just quietly chat while staring up in the sky. This ambiance was what I needed to relieve some of the stress this week. It was raining earlier in the week, thus I wasn’t expecting to see so many stars above. Last year, I would often look up at the sky to see the stars, but, to my surprise, there were a lot more than what I usually see when I went to the observatory. It was truly beautiful and out of this world.

One thought on “Above and Beyond

1. This is so cool! I wanted to attend this event but unfortunately had other commitments, but it’s really awesome that you were able to experience something so calming after a stressful week. Hopefully their hours are flexible and I can head up there one night to see what all the hype is about!