Wasted: The Story of Food Waste

On Wednesday, I had the opportunity to meet Dr. Frank Rossi, who is an associate professor at the Cornell Department of Horticulture. He is currently teaching a course called Just Food with Dr. Rachel Kerr. Dr Kerr is a world-class sociologist and is one of the authors of the IPCC Climate Change Report. During the talk, he talked about how the food system in the United States is out of balance. We do not need more land to produce food, what we need is to waste less food. He shared with us how the class got a chance to visit Appel Dining Hall on North Campus and learned about the food system on campus. It was surprising to hear that in the last three years, Cornell Dining reduced 80% of food waste on campus by simply removing the tray from the dining hall. The reason is that humans are greedy, we get more food than we think can finish when we have a big tray. I think this stood to me because even with only plates available in the dining hall nowadays, we still waste a lot of food. Dr. Rossi also mentioned there are also ‘waste police’ on-campus that weigh your food waste before you put in the dish belt. Last Tuesday, I actually saw there are students at Cook Dining hall conducting food waste study. I didn’t realize how important their role until Dr. Rossi explained it. After listening to this talk, I realized that the easiest way for students like us to help recover the food system is to reduce our food waste. Reducing food waste can save our food system, contributing to a more sustainable planet.