Flora Rose House: What’s In a Name?

Going into this talk, I truthfully had no idea who Flora Rose was. In fact, only about an hour prior to our meeting did I begin to consider the topic seriously, since the theme of our house dinner was “Recipes of Flora Rose.” I was surprised at what I learned, and I have a new-found appreciation for the woman behind Rose House’s name.

It was striking just how ahead of her time Flora Rose was. It seems only natural that Home Economics is a widespread subject today, but I was surprised to learn just how recently it became a staple of academia. Flora Rose wasn’t just an important figure in the development of the field; she was a pioneer in it, and her efforts in advancing nutrition did far more than just transform Cornell. Her role in the war effort was particularly fascinating, especially the time she spent in Belgium. One can tell quite a bit of one’s notoriety from who they’re associated with, so the fact that Flora Rose had relationships with Herbert Hoover and Eleanor Roosevelt shows just how important of a figure she was. For her to do all of this while being one of Cornell’s first female professors makes her accomplishments all the more impressive.

Lastly, while one can pour over one’s accomplishments all day long, it was interesting to get a flavor of who Flora Rose was as a person. Looking back upon her life, she certainly seemed to possess a unique personality. Although she demonstrated a more serious side, we paid particular attention to pictures of her and Martha Van Rensselaer, in which one could clearly see the bond between the two women. Her journal entries from her time in Belgium showed that she wasn’t all business all the time; her lament over the layout of a Belgian city made me chuckle. While Flora Rose’s story may not be as prolific as that of Martha Van Rensselaer’s or those of some of her other peers, it’s still one well worth learning about.

2 thoughts on “Flora Rose House: What’s In a Name?

1. I completely agree! The truth of the matter is the Flora was a person so advanced in her way of thinking that she had to have extraordinary accomplishments. Any other way would have been a waste of her wonderful mind. I didn’t know much about her except that Rose House was named after her. She however, is such an iconic figure to me now and I have made it a goal to learn much more about her because we only had a glimpse of her, but I know that there is so much more.

2. I haven’t ever really thought about who Flora Rose was either! So many things on campus are named after people that I guess I’ve become a bit numb to it. Your entry made me curious; how was Flora Rose involved in the war effort in Belgium? Thanks for sharing!