The Supernatural and Mental Conditions

Upon learning that Housebound was supposed to be a horror film, I was a little anxious that the movie would be too scary for me. I used to like horror films and novels when I was younger, but grew to dislike them as I did not like being frightened by jump scares or have nightmares of ghosts. Luckily, the movie Housebound was not too scary. There weren’t conventional jump scares or any ghosts in the movie. In the movie itself, the character Kylie repeatedly experiences a series of unexplainable events such as encountering a teddy bear multiple times. With this Kylie believes that there is a ghost in the house and the psychologist becomes concerned with what he believes to be possible delusions in both Miriam and Kylie. This got me to question the difference in experiencing the supernatural (if it actually exists) and the similar experiences that may be stimulated in patients with mental/psychological disorders such as schizophrenia. This also got me to place myself in Kylie’s point of view; if I was repeatedly experiencing strange events, I would also suspect ghosts or the supernatural of some kind. Others may not understand and even conclude that I am psychologically troubled or mentally ill. The border really seems to be blurred and I know that at least in the cultural background that I am from, mental conditions are deemed with negative connotations. This led me to think that we, as a society, should work to have a more embracing environment for patients of any kind, including those with mental, psychological problems and try to understand them in an open setting where we all share and try to understand everyone’s unique conditions.