Women’s Rights in Myanmar

Attending the short screening of three different independently produced films that documented the struggle of women’s equity in Myanmar was very interesting to see, especially when so starkly understood as a comparison to Western ideas of feminism. The first film was about how whistles began to be used as alerts to keep sexual predators accountable. The second was about the trials faced by three different religious women all engaged in male-dominated fields. The final short clip was a celebration of the different initiatives and successes of these initiative in Myanmar.

My favorite film was definitely the first because it provides an immediate solution for sexual assault on public transportation. and while the system is not fool proof or completely refined, it has made huge strides in reducing and preventing sexual assault of young women on buses. I think it was my favorite because it is a way to fundamentally change the way misogynistic men think: by using shame as a social tool, sexual predators are literally unlearning their predation. Some scholars may say that humans are inherently social animals, and that social acceptance and interaction are necessary to living a healthy, happy life. And when working under the assumption, it isn’t hard to see how using shame as a tool would shift one’s understanding of their actions.

This is so much more production than implementing a fine for sexual assault or simply discouraging it through formal means.  Fines often imply that those who can afford to assault women- or those with the money to pay off the fines- will continue to do so because they face no other ramifications. And trying to simply ‘educate’ men on why it is wrong to sexually assault women is not always effective; men know it is wrong to do it, yet some still choose to. The shame is a way to keep people accountable for their actions.

I also saw comparisons in a Rose Cafe I attended my sophomore year, about two years ago. GRF Seema talked about the work of urban planners in the reduction of sexual assault on public transportation in India. One of their immediate reactions was to segregate buses by gender, which is a great start to abruptly cut assault. But it lacked the accountability aspect that the whistle-blowing (haha wordplay) has in the Myanmar framework.

I also really liked the second film when the Muslim doctor talked about how she is working not only for herself and those immediately around her, but how she is focused on uplifting the women who have not had opportunities she has. This small acknowledgment of privilege is always refreshing to see, and it almost always happen when placed within the context of brown and black women. I love seeing references to intersectionality, especially because Kimberle Crenshaw is a Cornell alumna.

It was also great to see intersectional feminism outside of Chicano Queer Theory. I minor is Latino Studies, and often read people like Anzaldua, Moraga, and Viramontes (who is a professor here and is highly recommended!!) twice over. Gaining insight into other spheres of feminist activism was interesting to see as a comparative tool. I just wish the attendees could have been provided a bit of background information before attending the showing because I felt inadequately prepared to participate in the discussion that was expected of us.