Caring for Cancer

My grandfather died from cancer and I watched it first ruin his body and then his mind. From a fit, healthy man he turned into a skeletal version of himself. He was thin, pale, and had dark bags under his eyes. This transformation occured in only a few months. His once positive disposition turned into a cynical one. He refused to leave the house other than for medical trips. We didn’t want to aggregate him anymore than he was so we left it be.

I didn’t realize until today how wonderful a network of support from other cancer patients can be. The walkathon opened my eyes to support groups not only for cancer patients but also to surivors and caretakers. It’s a little bittersweet to see how such a treacherous disease can do unexpected good in bringing people together.

People who have never met each other before were able to congregate for a common cause. We walked as one to show our support for the brave people who fought and are fighting the awful disease. I wish that we were able to go back in time and take my grandfather to the support groups. It might have lifted up his spirits to know people who were going through the same thing he was. It’s great to spread awareness about the importance of support networks available to people so they can share experiences, advice, and make friends.

One thought on “Caring for Cancer

1. This is such a great response and reflection on the Cancer Walkathon. My grandfather also passed away from lung cancer in spring 2018, and I ended up taking a leave of absence for a year. It really is amazing how quickly cancer has consume someone who was completely healthy. And like you said, I wish I could show my grandpa how many people are affected by cancer and how many people are passionate about community building around tragedy, especially because it was so evident he was ashamed of being sick when he passed.