Thriving at Cornell

This Wednesday, I had the opportunity to engage in a discussion about “happiness” in college and how this ties into the concept of “success”. While people may perceive you to be successful at Cornell, are you really happy? With stressful prelims, overachieving peers, and pressure to sign with a top-tier firm for summer internships, we may be more unhappy with our lives than others perceive we are. While we are in very fortunate situations, our busy schedules could be making it more difficult for us to understand how privileged we are in the context of the real world. This thought made me notice how I try to compensate for all the stress I accumulate from my academics by constructing artificial happiness (eg. getting takeout, sleeping in on the weekends). This discussion allowed me to notice how my time in college will be what I make of it, and that making conscious decisions to find happiness is key. Constructing healthy relationships, understanding myself (and my character strengths), and taking on challenges (inside and outside of the classroom) could be good ways to make the most of my experiences at Cornell, and I am glad that I got to partake in this discussion.

One thought on “Thriving at Cornell

1. It is great that you are finding ways to have means of artificial happiness so that you can cope better with different instances of stress you encounter during your time here at Cornell! I could not attend this discussion but I should definitely try to come up with finding small instances of happiness within my busy schedule. My first and second semesters at Cornell were definitely more harder and stressful for me, but this semester I find myself coping so much better with stress as I come to feel more comfortable at the school. I should continue to construct healthy relationships and take on challenges and engage in friendly competitions as you have suggested!