Hong Kong and prisoner’s dilemma

First of all, an article states that Hong Kong is currently trapped in its own prisoner’s dilemma. The link to the article is following: https://www.scmp.com/comment/letters/article/3039586/hong-kong-only-way-out-prisoners-dilemma-give-and-take.  It argues that the pro-government and pro-democracy camps must go on a closed-door discussion on universal suffrage and national security legislation in order to bring back harmony. Currently, Hong Kong is in prisoner’s dilemma because of no communication made between two parties and mistrust with fake news dominate people. They end up choosing violation instead of negotiation. I also agree on this point since the key of player’s dilemma is that each side do not exactly know what each are doing, but make decision on what one believes. The article further suggests to examine the sources of mistrust.

I thought this article is relevant to what we learned from the class because it is the real life example of prisoner’s dilemma. Two parties are not having any conversation and this sadly led to a violation. While reading this article, I also thought Hong Kong could safely move on and get out from this trap of prisoner’s dilemma.