Meet the Local Foods Team: Lauren Olson

Tell us about your role on the local foods team. 

My role is working with food producers and food entrepreneurs to help with their marketing strategies. I started this position in April of 2021 and I am interested in learning what services I can offer to farmers and food producers that would be of most use to their business. Currently, I am working on educational materials that would be helpful to producers as they’re scaling up their business. In addition I promote consumer education surrounding local foods to help spread awareness of the delicious bounty we have here.

So you could meet one-on-one with a producer that’s trying to change something about their business, for example.  

Yes, I help educate farmers and food entrepreneurs about marketing tools. It could be anything from discussing E-commerce options for online stores, advising on websites and social media accounts, giving input on logos or accessing new markets.

I think the reason I like marketing is because it is about supporting your local network of consumers and producers and a lot of good can happen from that. Especially when it comes to food since we all need to eat and it’s a great way to invest in your community.

What sparked your interest in local foods?

In my undergrad I was exposed to many cool opportunities and ways to get involved in the food system which was really eye opening. I got to see everything from homesteading to commercial production, and recognized firs-hand how communities work and commune around food. After college I worked in various roles in the food system, mostly in Maine. I recently completed a Food Studies Masters Certification program at the University of Southern Maine where I got to dig even further into food systems and use my skills to support local growers and businesses.

If you could pick a NOCO view to look at every day, what would it be? 

If I could just look at the Spring sunrise then I think I’d be okay with that. I love how bright it is so early these days and all the birds chirping in the morning. I am always surprised at how many bird calls I can hear and how many I don’t know.

What’s the last local food you ate and where did it come from? 

I just had some of Pat & April’s Pork sweet Italian sausage. It makes for a really spicy treat with lots of flavor.

Could you  tell us about an adventure that you’ve enjoyed recently.

Recently I took a trip to Clear Pond, in the Adirondack forest preserve. It has a nice trail around the pond, and there are free campsites. I went canoeing with my partner and our puppy, it was a beautiful evening outside. I love the variety of outdoor recreation options, many of which are less than an hour from my doorstep. Like fishing at Allens falls, discovering new forest trails and nature walks or biking around to all the towns on the country roads.

Tell us about favorite foods that you enjoy cooking with. 

Making slow roasted meals. Throwing a bunch of things in a pot and letting it melt together for a couple of hours is easy and always tastes good. My favorite is crockpotting a whole chicken with lots of fresh herbs and oil and then serving it with a big spicy salad on the side. I add herbs that are in season like parsley, thyme, or sage and put in whatever vegetables are in the fridge, carrots, parsnips, potatoes etc.

What are some interesting ways that we can connect food producers with the community? 

I’m interested in how art and food can support each other. I think they are powerful tools in terms of emotional connections. In 2017 I was able to be a part of a project that teamed up artists and farmers. Individuals created artworks in various mediums that were inspired by the farm they were paired with. The farms got a chance to highlight their production and location and share it with the community. It was a great collaboration as the artists got visibility and finished pieces to sell and the farm got noticed by new consumer groups. There is a lot of room for working together and using art to highlight local food, I mean growing food is basically an art form.

What is a challenge to growing the local food system across the country?

Housing and land prices are rising and have become inaccessible to many folks interested in growing for themselves or others. What I like about the North Country is it’s comparably more affordable here and there is already a strong community of food producers and homesteaders. That makes it compelling to be in the North Country and that is why I want to support our current ag and food businesses so that they may continue to thrive and have positive community impacts.

I heard you have a hobby project this summer. Do you want to tell us more about that? 

I’m attempting a botanical plant dye garden this season. I’ve seeded some black hollyhocks, and sparky marigold mix along with some other plants. I am excited to dye some home sewn garments once the plants start to flower and see what shades they will produce.