Week Six at PASTA

This week was a busy one in my internship! I went in person to the Cornell Cooperative Extension office in Orange County for the first time. The purpose was to craft a paired PASTA program for the youth involved. That night, there was a condensed PASTA program curriculum given for the caregivers and our team hoped to also offer a curriculum for youth. During the week, I worked on the program that could pair nicely with the caregivers’ meeting. We discussed the idea of love languages and I did research on making the concepts accessible for kids and families. It turns out much had been done already! The idea of love languages is helpful in understanding that people show love in different ways. Love is a lot like speaking different languages. In the end, two people can be saying the same thing, but they might not understand each other if they’re not speaking the same language. In the plan’s script, the most critical part that I wanted to include was this: “The most important thing about love languages is that people can speak their love differently than how you do. It never means that they don’t love you, just that they can have a different way of showing it. When you want to show love for them, try really hard to listen to them and think about what they would value. While something might seem really special to you, another person might have a different love language, and might appreciate you trying to speak their language instead of your own!” The night was a success and it was amazing to see our plan in action.