Faculty Bio

Dr. Praveen Sethupathy

Bio

Praveen is an Associate Professor of Biomedical Sciences at Cornell University. He received his BA degree from Cornell University and his PhD in Genomics from the University of Pennsylvania. After completing a post-doctoral fellowship at the National Human Genome Research Institute under the mentorship of Dr. Francis Collins, he moved in 2011 to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Genetics. In 2017, he returned to Cornell University as an Associate Professor. Praveen has authored over 70 publications, and has served as a reviewer for over 30 different journals. Recent honors include a faculty merit award for outstanding teaching and mentoring. Praveen’s laboratory is located in the newly renovated Research Tower on Tower Road. He lives in Ithaca, NY with his wife and three children.

Research

The last decade of the post-genome era in the life sciences has witnessed an explosion of new layers of biological information. A prominent example is the ever-expanding array of non-coding RNAs (ncRNAs). My research interests are centered on the roles of ncRNAs, including microRNAs (miRNAs), tRNA-derived RNAs (tDRs), and long, non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs), in gene regulation, physiology, and complex disease etiology. The scientific paradigm in my laboratory is highly interdisciplinary, at the interface of computational and experimental biology. The lab members have expertise and interest in diverse areas of study, including functional genomics, molecular genetics, RNA biology, liver and gastrointestinal (GI) physiology, diabetes pathophysiology, stem cell biology, evolutionary genetics, and bioinformatics.

Our research has been supported by grants from a diverse set of funding sources, including the National Institutes of Health, the American Diabetes Association, the American Heart Association, the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America, the Fibrolamellar Cancer Foundation, and Vesta Therapeutics, Inc. Our goal is to discover novel roles for ncRNAs in diabetes, dyslipidemia, and other metabolic and GI diseases, advancing basic science and opening up new avenues for the development of effective therapeutics.

Teaching and Mentoring

Teaching and mentoring are my first passions. I am deeply committed to developing a strong, robust didactic and practical learning atmosphere for students in the classroom and trainees in the laboratory. My love for teaching took hold when I was an undergraduate at Cornell University, during which time I served for several years as either a teaching assistant or a course consultant, and it has intensified over the years because I believe that: (1) the ability to teach/articulate a concept effectively is the sign of when one has truly learned it well; (2) enthusiastic students at the best universities like Cornell should have direct access to their professors in order to nurture their creative spirit and sharpen their intellect at an early stage of their career; and (3) the overall scientific enterprise is strengthened when we take the time to invest in the next generation of scholars.

I am firmly committed to serving as a research mentor for undergraduate and graduate students, and I am particularly passionate about helping students grow not only as scientists, but also as artful and articulate communicators of their scientific work. Exchange of research ideas and goals, both with scientific and lay audiences, is extremely important and I have deeply enjoyed the opportunity to help train students improve their skills in this area. The most rewarding moments of my career so far have come in those times when I realize how much my students have grown not only as critical thinkers but also as effective communicators.