CROP ALERT – August 2, 2023

NWNY Team Crop Alert Banner

Waterhemp Herbicide Plot Tour this Friday, August 4 in Waterloo

Glyphosate-resistant (GR) weeds including waterhemp are an increasing concern for NY field crops. Growers and Industry representatives will have an opportunity to tour and observe effective preemergence and postemergence applied herbicides for controlling waterhemp in Enlist soybeans. Dr. Vipan Kumar, Cornell weed scientist, will lead the tour through the small plot treatments and discuss the impact of these integrated herbicide strategies, with multiple modes of action, from a resistance management standpoint. No cost, no reservations needed. Questions? Call Mike Stanyard @ 585-764-8452.

Where: SE corner of NY-318 and Whiskey Hill Rd., Waterloo (just west of J Martin Auctions, 1036 NY-318, Waterloo)

When August 4- 10:00 – 11:00

1.0 DEC Certified Applicator Credit will be available.

Soybean Updates

Lots of our soybeans are in the R3 growth stage (Beginning pod). This is determined if there is a pod at least 3/16” at one of the top uppermost four nodes. There are still lots of flowers on the plant and this a crucial stage where total pod count will be determined. Soybeans can lose 60-70% of their flowers/potential pods. There are some pretty good pods developed on the bottom of the plants and they are filling quickly.

R3 stage soybean plant.
R3 stage soybean plant. M. Stanyard, CCE/NWNY Team

We have had great weather recently for good plant growth. I have seen little visible leaf disease pressure so far. I have had reports of possible frog eye and Cercospora leaf blight in the region. I have not seen any white mold injury yet, but it is a little early for symptoms. The weather has been conducive for white mold, and I know many with field history have sprayed at R1 and recently at R3. I was searching for white mold fungi yesterday in a field with white mold history and could not find any. They are not easy to find. They are small and gray and look like miniature toadstools. To confirm they are white mold fungi, gently dig them up. They will be connected to a black sclerotia which is the reproductive structure for white mold. I did find some birds nest fungi which is commonly mistaken for white mold fungi. You can see why they are called that. They are not harmful to our crops and feed on crop residue.

Birds nest fungi in soybean field.
Birds nest fungi in soybean field. Photo: M. Stanyard, CCE/NWNY Team

Corn Updates

Most of the corn I have seen driving around the region looks good. The rainfall has been timely for most but we could use a little more heat moving forward. There are some tough areas where we got too much water in parts of Ontario County and the corn has suffered. The USDA NASS Crop Progress and Condition report for NY on July 30 has 42% of the corn silking. This is a little behind last year’s 48%. It also has corn conditions at 6% very poor, 9% poor, 28% fair, 32% good and 25% excellent.

I have seen farms finishing up nitrogen side dressing and spraying fungicides. I have not seen any tar spot myself, but it is an important time to be out scouting for corn diseases. I am getting some pictures of gray leaf spot and northern corn leaf spot and blight. Our weather conditions have been favorable for disease development.

Northern corn leaf blight.
Northern corn leaf blight. Photo: G. Bergstrom, Cornell University

Next report will be August 9.