CROP ALERT – June 17, 2021

Gypsy Moth Larvae are Everywhere

A hairy caterpillar with blue and red dots on it's back.
Gypsy Moth Larvae. Photo: Kathleen Salisbury / Penn State Extension

Gypsy moth larvae are serious pests of deciduous trees and even conifers. They were really bad last year in the Finger Lakes and west. They are back in impressive numbers again this year and defoliating hardwoods in woodlots, parks and residential areas. What about field crops? I have been getting lots of phone calls and pictures of gypsy moth caterpillars in corn, soybean, wheat and even onions. Could they become a pest in our crops? The larvae are hungry and I think they will try anything once. I believe they may do a little feeding but realize it is not what they are looking for and move on.

Japanese Beetle Emergence

I found my first Japanese beetle of the season yesterday (6/16). This may be a little early but we have accumulated the degree days for the white grubs to pupate and emerge. We never know what kind of beetle populations to expect each season. They have been high the last couple of seasons. We will keep watching to see if they start to injure young corn and soybean plants.

Slugs are Still Feeding

It has been fairly dry in WNY until recently. I walked plenty of no-till fields and I have been surprised by the amount of slug feeding that I have seen in soybean and corn fields. Many of these fields were planted into standing rye. As the rye has started to lie down, there is plenty of cover for the slugs to hide under during the day. Slugs are primarily nocturnal and will come out as the sun goes down. Shiny slime trails and the leaf feeding are definitive evidence that they are loafing close by. Plants can take some leaf feeding during the early growth stages and my hope is that the heat continues and the plants outgrow the slugs. Some have had to resort to doing a little tillage and replant.

A row of green soybean plants with small holes in the leaves.
Slug feeding on soybeans. Photo: M. Stanyard / CCE NWNY Team
A green corn plant with holes in the leaves.
Slug injury on corn. Photo: M. Stanyard / CCE NWNY Team

Eyespot and Lodged Wheat

The wheat looks fantastic in the region and is starting to change to a pale green as we move closer to the finish line. Many are saying it will be ready for harvest a little earlier this July. Unfortunately, I saw my first evidence of lodging after the storm that blew through earlier in the week.  Upon closer inspection yesterday, I could see that the main culprit for the weakened wheat stem was eyespot, also known as strawbreaker. It is a soilborne fungus that attacks the roots and lower stem.  It forms a brown diamond shaped lesion and the base of the stem. Gary Bergstrom informed me that Priaxor from BASF is now labeled for eyespot suppression in wheat. Application timing is between green-up and formation of the first stem node (Feekes 6).  It is the only chemical option in NY. The fungus can live and spread on other grass crops and weeds from year to year.

A green wheat field with a section of flattened wheat.
Lodged wheat field due to eyespot infection and strong winds. Photo: M. Stanyard / CCE NWNY Team.

Greenish wheat stem with a long brown spot.
Brown distinctive eyespot lesion at the base of a wheat plant. Photo: M. Stanyard / CCE NWNY Team

Alfalfa Weevils are Starting to Pupate

I got my first reports that alfalfa weevils are starting to spin their cocoons and pupate. This means that they are done feeding on alfalfa. This is great news for fields that have been getting hammered with early injury. Look for the white lace-like webbing up at the top cluster of buds. I am still hearing of reports of small larvae present in fields. These AW hatched later and unfortunately will stick around and feed a little while longer. Check your fields carefully to see what stage the resident AW are in before making a management decision.