Deep Work (Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World)

2020 was a mind-bending, challenging year for most.  A colleague recently recommended Deep Work, by Cal Newport as I complained that “man, there are so many things getting in the way of my big projects this year”.   I’ve been listening to this one as I walk the dog in the morning – and happy to say – I am inspired.

Newport connects research and practice in this book and shares some boots-on-the-ground suggestions for starting new habits and curbing some not-so-good ones.  In this promo, he shares, “When you’re trying to be productive, are you easily distracted by wandering thoughts or urges? Do you mindlessly open up your favorite website or app, craving novelty or fearing you’re missing out? Do you wish you could focus better, spending hours more per day driving toward your most important goals? Deep Work teaches you how to develop your focus and resist distractions. Focus is like a mental muscle – you need to structure training sessions and push yourself to your mental limit to increase your focus capacity. Implement the strategies in this Deep Work summary, and you’ll be more productive than you’ve ever been.”  Excellent resource, and tips.

Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World—Cal Newport. (n.d.). Retrieved March 5, 2021, from https://www.calnewport.com/books/deep-work/

One thought on “Deep Work (Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World)

1. This book is next on my reading list! Sounds like a very useful practice.