From Telling to Teaching

Book cover for the book From Telling to TeachingI just read a favorite teaching strategy book, “From Telling to Teaching” as it has been a while and I wanted to reacquaint myself with a some good ideas for lesson planning, motivating learners, and designing to help shift behaviors (instead of designing a lesson to just teach content).

If you are a CCE nutrition education you are likely familiar with the book “From Telling to Teaching” by Dr. Joye Norris as Norris is the originator of what we know as the 4A model of lesson planning, a framework taught to nutrition educators consistently.  In addition to walking through WHY it makes sense for lessons to have these four components:  ANCHOR, ADD, APPLY, AND AWAY, Norris takes the reader through  scenarios for considering how to get to know your learners, invite them warmly to learn with you, and help them walk away excited to apply what they have learned.

The book really makes me want to have more conversations with our CCE educators…   I’m curious and interested – what are your 5 top ways of inviting your participants to “be in the room” with you?   We can learn  so much from one another!