Week 2~ Auburn, Ithaca, and Montour Falls

Hello Again. This was my second week of work, and it started out on Tuesday morning. I got up, grabbed a bag of snacks, and drove over an hour to the Auburn market. I was expecting a larger market, but I ended up finding a random parking lot with only two tents. The market was very slow, and it was interesting to watch the ebb and flow of people driving in and leaving the lot. The other two vendors were selling produce, and all three of us were very cold in the 55 degree weather. From 10-2pm I talked to around 10 people about FMNP, and I realized that not all markets are packed and busy like in Ithaca.

Wednesday started out bright and early in the CCE Tompkins county kitchen. I made a beet and apple slaw with cucumber and beet greens for the Ithaca farmers market. I grated 3 beets, an apple, and a cucumber, and I watched the dish come to life with the vibrant colors of beets and beet greens. I packed it up in my cooler, and headed off to the market. I kind man from a local farm helped me set up my tent, and I talked to a wide variety of people from 4-7pm at the market. It was sunny, happy, and full of delicious produce. Lots of people enjoyed my sample, and many customers asked to take the recipe home with them.

Finally, on Thursday, I went to the Montour Falls market, about 45 minutes away. This market was adorable- it was small and shielded from the bright sun by a pavilion. There was live music, a cheese bus, and a variety of small town farms and craftsmen. I enjoyed talking to the other vendors and  listening to the live music.

Here are some photos from this week of markets.