Blue pill or Red pill?

I was pretty disappointed in the “Matrix” and I don’t think it deserves the hype it gets. I remember people raving about this movie when I was in middle school, so I expected a lot out of this film. All I knew about this movie before I watched it was that Neo (main character) had to choose either the blue or the red pill. The blue pill allows Neo to live in his current situation, an illusion of the real world. However, Neo decides to take the red pill, which allows him to discover the truth behind the “utopia” he lives in. He learns that the actual world is a computer simulation that is being threatened by Agents (machines) that want to destroy the rebels (humans).

After watching the movie, I realized the pills could be a symbolism to how we approach problems in society. Do we let it stay hidden and fester? Or do we open our eyes and do something about it? Some people choose to stay ignorant by ignoring the issues going on in the world because it doesn’t affect them, or because they would rather turn to reality shows and the kardashians. In some way, I think the message in the movie is to inform us that we should stay vigilant about how people in charge are running our country. We should question and take action instead of staying silent. Although I did not particularly enjoy the movie, it did bring up a serious issue in our society today.

2 thoughts on “Blue pill or Red pill?

1. I’ve tried to watch the matrix several times, but I always fall asleep in the middle of it! I do really appreciate the references to Alice in Wonderland at the beginning. I’m also intrigued by the concept of ignoring our problems that the movie tackles

2. I see your point, and viewing the movie from this angle should inspire people to be more understanding about who they elect into power. We should know as citizens what our rights are and whether or not the people in charge are guiding us with their actions or misleading us with false promises. I think the Matrix is one of those movies that people can view from different perspectives, and in that respect I think it is a very good movie, but I will agree after years of hype I was a tad bit disappointed that the film didn’t have more to it.