CCE Suffolk will once again be offering a new class of Master Gardener Trainees. The next training course will take place every Wednesday, 10am-4pm from January 17 through May 30. Weekly lectures and hands-on learning will take place at various locations in addition to our Extension Education Center, CCE Suffolk, 423 Griffing Avenue in Riverhead.
What do Master Gardeners do? Master Gardener Volunteers receive research-based instruction during the course of the training, and continue to be kept current through ongoing experiential learning and advanced training. In return, they agree to share their knowledge though community service and educational outreach.
Volunteers become Certified Master Gardeners for CCE Suffolk after completing the training course and volunteering 125 hour of service. CCE Suffolk’s Master Gardener Volunteer Program is directly linked to Cornell University as part of its National Land-Grant College charter, which provides a valuable connection to state-of-the-art gardening knowledge.
Each year hundreds of these service-minded folks from Suffolk County:
- Organize a Spring Gardening School for the public, including workshops, exhibits, and a plant sale
- Table with gardening information at community events
- Cultivate the land and teach youth at the Children’s Garden at Suffolk County Farm
- Design and help maintain community beautification projects, demonstration gardens, community gardens, and school gardens
- Offer gardening talks and classes at public libraries, schools, and interested groups
- Create and participate in programs for senior citizens, youth, and the physically and mentally challenged
- Teach the proper care of lawns, shrubs, trees, and flowers, and how to grow fruits and vegetables
- Install exhibits and provide gardening information at flower shows and events
Anyone who enjoys gardening and has a desire to learn and share their knowledge and skills can apply to the 2018 Master Gardener Training Class. The cost of this comprehensive gardening course is $375 with an additional $125 deposit. The deposit is refundable, upon completion of 125 hours of volunteer service. Download the application here.
You can find more information about our Master Gardener Program and download application materials at: http://ccesuffolk.org/gardening/master-gardener-volunteers.
Donna Alese Cooke is the Community Horticulture Specialist for CCE Suffolk. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 631-727-7850 x225.©