Discovery that Connects

Science-based innovation for a changing world

July update from SIPS Director Chris Smart

Dear SIPS community,

New Faculty:
Please help welcome two new faculty that started July 1 – stop by and say hi when you have a chance! Both have told me they very much want to meet everyone in SIPS.

• Carlyn Buckler (Associate Professor of Practice) – Room 118 Plant Science
  • Margaret Frank (Assistant Professor Plant Biology) – Room 251 Plant Science

Diversity Audit:
The final report from our Diversity Audit was attached to the all-SIPS mailing I sent out on July 4th. You may remember that the audit was conducted during the 2017/18 academic year buy Ricky Stuart of Gender at Work. The SIPS executive committee is working to enable recommendations from the audit. I hope you find the audit informative – I know I did.

Equally important is for everyone to be aware of the revised Consensual Relationships Policy:

Full report:

Cornell AgriTech News:

Faculty search updates:

• Assistant/Associate Professor of International Cropping Systems. I’m pleased to announce that Andy McDonald has accepted Cornell’s offer and will be starting January 1, 2019.
  • Assistant/Associate Professor of Plant-Microbe Biology. An offer has been made to the top candidate and negotiations are ongoing.
  • Assistant/Associate Professor of Grape Disease Ecology & Epidemiology (Geneva Campus). This search will re-open next month and Tom Burr will be the chair of the search committee.

Congratulations to the following people who were recognized with a SIPS Kudos in the last month!

• Tara Reed
  • Michele Blackmore
  • Ed Cobb
  • Tami Payne
  • Michael Gore
  • Tara Nihill
  • Craig Cramer
  • Alicia Caswell
  • Jenn Thomas-Murphy

If you would like to recognize anyone in SIPS, complete the brief form here:

https://sips.cals.cornell.edu/news-events/sips-staff-kudos/

All the best,

Chris