Eddy Gate

On Saturday I was able to attend Eddy Gate with other rose scholars and friends. I had seen the olive green signs all over campus for a couple weeks, so I was excited to be able to see what all the advertisements were for. Eddy gate was a student-led project that aimed at revamping the empty area beneath the gate behind Cascadilla hall. The vision was to create a space that would be open to all members of the community to gather, eat, play games, and overall just chill. The team was able to fundraise money for the event through their go-fund- me page as well as several donations from different organizations on and outside of campus.

Overall, I had a great time at the space! We were able to play games like Connect Four and Katan. They really transformed the space from something that is scary to walk through during the night time to a well-lit and welcoming park. We were also able to see performances from different talented individuals and groups on campus which was a treat. It’s exciting to see students take charge and create change on the campus because often times it seems like rules are so set in place that nothing can be changed on such a large scale.  The team inspired me to look for something I want to change on campus and go for it! I hope they can make this change a permanent addition to campus.

4 thoughts on “Eddy Gate

1. I find it really cool how a group of students came together to make a change. I have always believed that while a single person can come up with an idea, a group with an idea cannot be stopped. It is great how one great idea can inspire others. I hope you are able to make your idea become a reality!

2. That sounds really cool. I have never been to Eddy Gate, but I would like to have more places like that on West campus. Your post inspires me to bring similar changes to the university.

3. I went by Eddy Gate myself, not as a part of the event, and felt the same way!

4. Great initiative shown by students in partnership with the Campus Planning Office and the College of Architecture, Art and Planning to find ways to revive a public space that is a corridor to campus and has historical value. The students initiative has contributed to regain the space by renovating it making it appealing and safe for the student community! Well done!!!