Finding Inspiration

During Wednesday’s Rose Café, Silviu Tanasoiu, the head coach of the men’s tennis team, came in to talk about one of the students he has coached. He talked about the recruitment process, Bernardo’s experience at Cornell on and off the court, and his road to the Ivy League championship game that the team had won. The part of the story that stood out to me the most was when he talked about how Bernardo became an inspiration for the team and how he persevered through difficult times at Cornell. Bernardo’s dedication to the team, his education, and his future is very inspirational. He also talked about how Bernardo never complained. It is very easy to complain about everything bad that is happening, but it is very difficult to not complain and stay positive. At least for me, having at least one person around me who is positive helps me be more positive and see the good things that have happened rather than the bad things. It is amazing how much the people that you surround yourself with can have an influence on you. Lastly, before the café, I did not realize how much the coaches do for their players. I did not realize that they not only coach the students on the court, but also help the students through academics and, in general, life. It was interesting to learn about the impact that the coaches have on their students. Everyone needs someone who really cares about them and is willing to help them through any difficulties they may encounter.