some thoughts about Monday

One Friday night, I watched the movie What Happened to Monday with all other Rose scholars in the dining hall. The movie mainly talked about in an virtual future country, the government restricts people from having more than one child. For a family that has octuplets,  in order for the children to survive, each of them can only appear 1 day in a week. As a result,  the oldest girl is called “Monday”. However, one day “Monday” betrays the family to do a barter with government because she falls in love with someone and wants to protect her children(a twin).

Personally, as a person who was born in China under one child policy, I thought a lot when I watched the movie. Even when I did not feel a lot when I was a child, I do wish more and more now that I have a sibling: If I have a younger sister/brother, I can teach her/him read, write and play; If I have an older one, I may have someone to talk/get advice from if I have any problems. Just as what the GRF said, sometimes we are told that by someone that “we do this for all of you” “we will only do this now to have a better future”. But is that actually the case? Will it ever stop once it starts? The answer is unknown.

The movie itself has some violence situations that I do not like much, but it does provoke me to think deeply about many things, especially as a single child in family. Also, I understand more what it means to be a family by watching this movie: No one can change the relation. Members of a family will be linked forever, no matter what happens.