[Spoilers] What happened to individuality?

As title indicates, this contains major spoilers.

Seeing as my previous post was so poorly received, I thought I might take another stab at this while not buried in work and exams. I’ve said before that I thought this movie was more interesting as a commentary on individuality than on power. Here’s a summary of why, based on what I still remember:

Most obviously, every direct physical conflict involving major characters is one between individuals. Even the mess of a fight that was the first encounter with agents in the sibling’s apartment was more a series of contests between two people than a group battle.

Next, each sister runs into trouble while expressing their individuality. Sunday subverts the unexplained “you’re supposed to be the one who believes.” Tuesday is trying to push back against pressure from her sisters when she is captured. Wednesday is shot while dressed as herself outside and while glaring at her killer with personality, immediately after being denied an epic jump that she has “trained for all her life.” Thursday has the inexplicably damaging skateboarding accident and the subsequent guilt of indirectly maiming her sisters. Friday takes agency of her own death and goes out with a dramatic monologue (rather uncharacteristic for the nervous one) to Thursday. Saturday is killed in the middle of expressing her love for her family in the peak of her subversion of the false persona she’s been building up for years. Finally, Monday dies for her love and her children, the only things setting apart “Miss Perfect” from the role they all share.

Also, the family is always shown as less a team and more a group of individuals (case in point, the siblings at home all but abandon Wednesday when a single agent appears at their door).

And of course, many of the things about power can be translated into points about laws and norms and government oppressing the individual.

I honestly still don’t like the film, but I’ll at least agree that you can get something out of it if you try.