The Never-ending Resumé

This week I went to an event about writing resumes. I learned a lot that I did not know before. For instance, I did not know that it is not professional to write a resume in two columns. I really liked how our graduate student went through all of the individual subsections we could have on our resumes. It really helped to know all the different ways to display information in a professional manner. I liked how she also pointed out that we could combine different subsections to display other information that might not fit in one subsection. I think this event made me realize just how difficult it is to judge how different employers may view one resume. I also realized that learning to write a resume could take years because people are always revising them to fit every step of their careers.

In addition, although I feel like crafting a good resume is one way to have a good first step when finding jobs and internships, the entire process made me feel less confident about looking for positions. I feel as if there is so much to know that the information can get overwhelming. All the aspects of your resume and even interview you have to consider are important. Even at the end of the event, I think we did not get though everything there was to know about resumes and CVs.