Behind the Scenes: Piloting

Last week, I had the pleasure of listening to a Delta airlines pilot speak on his experiences with piloting: from how he stumbled across the activity to what it’s like being a pilot now. One of the most interesting parts to me was the fact that, in order to become a pilot, you have to accrue A LOT of flying hours. The level of obvious dedication that pilots must have for their craft is amazing. Another interesting tidbit of information came when he was describing rules and regulations on flying: pilots can only fly for a certain amount of hours every day, every week, every month, and every year. This is to ensure that pilots are receiving the proper rest needed to operate a plane and to prevent them from getting overworked. He explained that sometimes, this is the reason for some of the delays that passengers experience when they are traveling. Although I have been on the short end of the stick before (delayed/canceled flights), this conversation helped me understand the behind-the-scenes safety rules that must be adhered to above all else.

One thought on “Behind the Scenes: Piloting

1. I definitely agree with your sentiment about being surprised just how many hours it takes to become a pilot. I can imagine it being difficult to reach that level without sincere dedication.

I wonder if whether or not people have access to their own plane plays into which people become pilots. For example, do you think more pilots tend to come from wealthy families since they’re more likely to have their own plane? It would be interesting to see a demographic breakdown of pilots in the US.