A Heartwarming Experience

This past saturday I was able to head to the Cornell Cinema to watch Disney Pixar’s Coco. Knowing that Disney and Pixar had created this movie, my expectations were already high and I have to say Coco was definitely worth the hype for me. First off, the film-making and visuals were exceptional. The land of the dead was drawn beautifully with so many vibrant colors and lights, I can’t imagine how long it took to create such beautiful scenes. Not only did the movie look aesthetic, the plot was what made it.

Coco shed light on the Mexican Culture as well as the importance of family. Through the movie, I was able to learn more about the culture and traditions behind the Day of the Dead celebrated in Mexico. I’ve previously heard about the Day of the Dead, but I never learned about the meaning behind it in depth. Coco portrayed the importance of this day for many Mexican families. For instance, families place their ancestors’ pictures on the Ofrenda so that their spirits may pass over and they can be with the living. The movie portrayed the ancestors visiting the living, but more than that, I believe it represents that they honor and remember the dead, their own family members. This tradition serves as a way for families to remember their roots just as Miguel’s grandma always reminds him.

Coco also emphasizes the significance of family and loyalty. Although I did not agree with Miguel’s grandmother’s strong opposition against his playing music, I believe she did it with good intentions. She was loyal to her mother and grandmother, and intended to keep the family together and unified. Although his journey to become a musician was bumpy, Miguel’s family’s approval proves that family is loyal and supportive through thick and thin. One of my favorite scenes in the movie was when Miguel and Hector realize that they were actually great-grandfather and great-grandson. Their connection was not just pure coincidence. All in all, the movie was a heartwarming and emotional experience for me and I enjoyed getting a look into another culture.