Super Bowl Fun Facts

Before watching the 52nd Super Bowl on sunday night, we learned a bit about the history of the Super Bowl and the other aspects of it besides the actual sport. Prior to this event, I hadn’t realized how much business, marketing, and money is involved in the Super Bowl. Of course, being a national sporting event, I knew it was a great opportunity for different companies to make money, but I had no idea viewers were also making a good amount of money as well. The GRF Shiv introduced us to different components surrounding the Super Bowl such as the different prop bets people place, the advertisements that are aired during the superbowl, and just about football in general. I found the prop bets the most interesting. They serve as an opportunity for viewers to invest in the game. There are a variety of bets people take part in from individual team performances to overall performances, to bets that have nothing to do with football! For instance, one of the prop bets this year that caught my eye was whether Justin Timberlake would sing a Prince cover. In my opinion, I think it would be fun for someone like me, who isn’t particularly interested in football, to participate in these bets. I was also fascinated by the amount of business the food industry receives on Super Bowl Sunday. Americans buy an average of 12.5 million pizzas on Super Bowl Sunday! Participating in this Super Bowl Sunday event opened my eyes to the other industries’ roles that are involved in a football game. The Super Bowl is not just a sports game. Although I wasn’t rooting for any team, it was still fun to watch as my friends place bets and anxiously root for their teams.