Justice For All

The first Rose Cafe of the semester featured our very own Cornell alumnus Judge Scott Miller, who currently presides over trial-level criminal and civil matters in the City of Ithaca. He is the first judge I’ve had the chance to meet, and I loved the stories he shared with us and the discussions that they sparked at the end of the hour. I admire his levelheadedness and ability to assume the role of an impartial and impersonal judge who brings justice to our town. Regardless of his job, Judge Miller is a fantastic person who fights for both the victims of crimes, and those who have committed them by refusing to label them as criminals by default; he fights for the humanity in everyone. We also touched on the recent Larry Nassar case, and debated the professionalism of the judge in her crude statement when signing Larry’s “death warrant.” After Judge Miller explained his reasons for criticism, I understood his perspective a lot more. However, I still support the judge’s statement as a strong message to the public that sexual abusers will finally get the punishment they deserve.

3 thoughts on “Justice For All

1. I also support the message behind the judge’s harsh words towards Larry Nassar, considering how unforgivable his actions were. However, I found myself agreeing with Judge Miller on the issue of professionalism. It struck me that a judge can hold another person’s life in their hands, and personally I feel as though that requires a certain amount of humility.

2. I also appreciated Judge Miller’s discussion of recognizing the line between person feelings about the case and upholding what he called the “sanctity” of the position. I was glad that someone raised this question about the judge’s words during the Nassar case because I also was shocked, similar to Judge Miller’s reaction, when I read about the judge’s statement given her position of power.

3. Even though the judge’s comment in the Nassar case sends a strong message that sexual abusers will get the punishment they deserve, a judge should always uphold the utmost level of professionalism no mater what the case they are presiding over. I agree with Judge Miller that that such a side “commentary” diminishes the importance of the job.