Sustainable Practices as Evolutionarily Stable Strategies

One topic I found particularly interesting from Networks 2040 is the concept of evolutionarily stable strategies, or ESS. By definition, if adopted by a population, an ESS resists being overtaken by an alternative strategy due to providing the best benefit when used against itself, making it stable and self-reinforcing. While studying this concept, I felt a strange sense of familiarity within it. Eventually I grew to realize that I work on creating such strategies everyday.

This phenomena of biological evolution easily applies to the physical strategies of mankind in that we constantly seek mechanisms to enhance and innovate aspects of daily life, from creating climate controlled shelters, advancing medicine in health care and the overall optimization that the modern day brings. All of these concepts can be considered ESS in their own right.

However, as an environmental engineer, we focus on creating solutions that specifically enhance the resilience and stability of such strategies. Sustainable energy solutions empower us to continue innovation without the heavy expense of fossil fuels. Water conservation and management allow for the optimal health and distribution of the most vital life resource: water. Finally, environmental engineers focus on creating circular economy models that promote self-sufficiency and long-term reliability. The intersection of ESS and engineering allows us to create brighter, promising strategies for the future.

Networks 2040 has been an incredibly fulfilling experience. The exposition to the concepts of network theory has been fascinating and deceptively ingraining. I’ve found many strategies noticeable in everyday life and deepen my understanding of my more technical engineering classes. Thank you all for a wonderful semester!