Alumni Spotlight – Joanne Lawton

Name: Joanne Lawton

Title: Dairy Products Specialist 2

What is your background and how did you become interested in the dairy/food industry?  Both my grandfathers were dairy farmers, and I got involved in showing dairy cattle in 4-H.  I decided I wanted to stay in agriculture, dairy if possible, I went to SUNY Cobleskill for Agri-Business, then transferred to Cornell and got a degree in General Studies in Agriculture.  I took a wide variety of classes at Cornell, including dairy, horticulture, and agronomy.

What was your Cornell experience like? (i.e. coursework, dairy related activities, internships, jobs, etc.)  I took dairy science classes with Dr. Galton.  I took a dairy foods class with Dr. Bandler.  And I was active in CUDS, which involved trips to different areas where we say both dairy farms and other agriculture industries.

What is your current role in the food industry, and how does it impact the dairy industry?  As a Dairy Products Specialist 2 I oversee the dairy plants and farms in the Lower Hudson Valley.  I supervise four Dairy Products Specialist 1’s.  We ensure that the dairy products in our region are manufactured in safe manner.

How did your Cornell training impact your career in the dairy/food industry?  After graduating from Cornell, I knew I wanted to work in the dairy industry.  Cornell prepares you to think out of the box in a variety of situations.  Cornell training continues in my current career, with many of our training course held at Cornell or with Cornell personnel.  I’ve been fortunate enough to help with the HTST training course, and a couple of vat courses held at plants in my region.