My Experience in the Food Processing and Development Lab

Second in a Series

By Elizabeth Freeman

I was first offered the opportunity to work in the Dairy Pilot Plant just as I finished making ice cream for my Intro to Food Science class. Making cheese sounded like a cool hobby, and since I had some free time, I figured I would give it a shot. My first day at work, I entered the plant and saw the gigantic metal machines and a huge vat of yellow congealed liquid.  I had no idea what I  Headshotwas doing and felt a little overwhelmed.

That same day, I did the manual process of cutting, flipping, and pressing the cheese curds into future wheels of cheddar. That first day in the plant flew by in a confusing but exciting blur, and afterwards, I knew this was an activity I wanted to pursue. Through Rob Ralyea and the other staff’s guidance, I began to slowly master the process and art of cheese making, and learn the purpose of each pipe and machine in the pilot plant.

This experience helped me develop many skills beyond just cheese manufacturing. I learned how to learn on the fly, with directions and processes coming at me quickly and urgently. I also now understand and appreciate the significance of quality control and consistency in product. Most importantly, through working and communicating in a team setting, I learned when to make independent decisions, without needing a manager to constantly instruct me, and when I needed help.

I came to understand how valuable this experience was when I started my summer internship with Kraft-Heinz. Working in the Dairy Pilot Plant not only helped me in my application, but it also helped me excel in my summer projects. I walked into their dairy pilot plant, and I knew the purpose of every single machine. During the summer, I was able to run my own trials without supervision much sooner than the less experienced interns. When I was doing trials for my projects, I effectively and efficiently communicated with all the technical staff.

This program has shaped my career in a positive way, and I am very grateful to have this unique opportunity that has given me a concrete understanding and experience in food manufacturing.