when in rome…be like the romans

Adjusting to a new place can be difficult. Already being in Europe and having to make another extreme adjustment presented itself as even more challenging. Many of us flew from the United States preparing for Italian culture to hit us upon arrival. I, however, came from Stockholm. Many would think that being in Europe can make the adjustment even easier, but it was quite the opposite case for me. Spending the last five months in Stockholm, it was a complete and total change for me. Northern Europe and Southern Europe are like separate continents in terms of the differences in culture and language. I went from speaking English with a mix of Swedish words in a country where English is spoken fluently by nearly everyone to struggling to learn just a few basic Italian words to communicate with some Italian locals. I did not prepare for such a radical adjustment. The language was expected, but the culture was pretty much opposite to Swedish culture. People here did not look initially reserved. Italians are not afraid to express themselves. They use hand gestures quite frequently, and it actually is part of their way of communicating. The friendliness and outgoing nature of Italians was not a complete surprise for me coming from the US, but from Sweden it was a total shock. I was used to acting reserved, trying to always act polite, making sure I did not intrude on anyone’s space. I basically had to teach myself an entirely new way to act if I wanted to adjust to life in Rome.

However, not all adjustments were difficult. I continue to be marveled by the fact that I am in the center of Rome. This city continually amazes those who visit, and the location of it all could not be better. Our Cornell in Rome program and apartments are all pretty much located within walking distance from the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, the Colosseum, the Vatican, Piazza Navonna, and Campo di Fiore. We can easily walk along the Fiume Tevere (Tiber River) and some of us are lucky enough to see it from our windows.

View of the Tiber from one of the apartments

One of the biggest advantages of this city is how walkable it is, and how appealing it is to simply get lost in Rome. The network of streets is confusing for an automobile, but for people it is a delightful scene. One of my favorite places to walk around in is the neighborhood of Trastevere. If you crave exercise or a wonderful view, there is a wonderful walk that I like to go on that ends with an almost panoramic view of Rome.

Neighborhood walk in Trastevere

In the hills of the Trastevere neighborhood is a great observation point

We are all continually becoming accustomed to our new environment, but of course like moving to any unfamiliar place there are always going to be mistakes. Personally, I find mistakes provide the greatest lessons for life. Some of the mistakes I made taught me some great lessons. Paying attention to where the locals ate, asking for things in Italian, and avoiding the tourist traps were lessons I learned within only the first couple days.

My first big group mistake was the second night here, where I went out with friends for dinner. We were sucked into one of these restaurants that was decent, but not worth the price. There are several restaurants in the city that survive partly on one-time customers. I was somewhat judicious in buying one plate and nothing else, which I was quite satisfied with the choice I made after we ate there. Another night I ate out I went to a restaurant in the northern part of historic Rome that gets quite crowded because of the popularity of the food they served. The difference between the two dinners I had was stark. The locally popular restaurant filled me through only the antipasti (the courses prior to the meal). We heard from locals only to eat the antipasti dishes because they bring out two to three plates for every antipasto you order and it is full of food of all different types based on what you order: seafood, meats, or vegetables. To our delight they were completely right. This experience provided a great lesson. The locals normally know what is best, so especially when you find yourself in a new place, like I did, pay attention to the advice of locals the first couple of weeks.

Another easy mistake to make is to sit down when you grab a coffee. There is a reason everyone stands up. They charge you to sit down. It is an extra euro for you to use any of their chairs and tables. For that reason I stand with the locals when I am drinking my cappuccino. I have to also mention how wonderful the cappuccinos are in Rome. I am so glad to not see Starbucks here because the coffee is so much better than any Starbucks coffee. All you have to do is walk three minutes to drink one of the best coffees of your life for only 1-2 euros, and the good places are easy to spot because in the mornings you can see Italians rushing in for them.

In the end there is a lesson to be made. When you are in any new place that is vastly different from what you are used to always make sure you observe, and so in the case of Rome…do as the Romans do.

Published by:

Elliot Sperling

Ciao! I am a Junior in Urban and Regional Studies at Cornell University. This spring semester I am studying in Rome as part of the Cornell in Rome program. It will be my second semester abroad in Europe after my previous studies in Stockholm, Sweden this autumn. I am very excited to be here and share my experiences with you.

Categories Daily LifeLeave a comment