Senior Profile: Yvonne Schichtel

Yvonne Schichtel graduated today with a Bachelor’s of Science with honors in Fashion Design! She has been an invaluable part of the CF+TC and we are so grateful for her! Read more about her contributions:

What inspired you to join the CF+TC as a research assistant?

As a fashion design major the chance to be surrounded by such interesting clothing was an incredible opportunity. There are so many pieces and fabrics that would stick with me as I worked in the collection and find their way into my own design work. One time some plain quilted fabric was being used to cover hangers and for some reason it never left my brain! I ended up developing a whole semester’s worth of work based on quilted fabric. On top of that, I was able to participate in such a wide variety of projects—my first being sourcing fabric in NYC for the TEXTURE exhibition, and my last being completing the ADA requirements for Elsie Frost McMurry’s book American Dresses 1790-1900. I feel so fortunate for the chance to learn so many new skills!

Brown corduroy jacket

Jean Paul Gaultier Fall 2002

What is your favorite piece in the collection and why?

This Jean Paul Gaultier Fall 2002 runway sample is my absolute favorite piece in the collection. Every time I would pass it while working in the collection I would stop and take a look at the details. I adore the label shape and the traditional take on the blazer with a twist. The tailoring itself is also incredibly well done and hand stitched around the collar—a sign of beautiful quality.

Holding a white hatI also fell in love with this hat in the collection and ended up implementing the threaded-through bow design detail in my own work!

thread through hat and glasses

Yvonne’s design work

What are your career goals and how do they connect to the work you did in the CF+TC?

I hope to pursue an MA in fashion design and work in Europe. The CF+TC was so important to me because I was able to study such a variety of clothing in depth and expand my knowledge of construction and design details. I also gained a lot of inspiration from the clothing and the collection became an important place for me to verify historical details and references during my research for various projects.

black dressIf you were to donate one item from your personal wardrobe to the collection, what would it be and why?

If I were to donate one item it would be the final look from my senior thesis collection. The piece was made with black powermesh, based on patterns of experimental textile manipulations with upcycled nylon tights material. The “baubles” were made with beads and buttons saved by my grandmother throughout her entire life. I developed a design philosophy based on her way of life in which everything has the potential to be valuable. One way of elevating the value of an item is to place it on the body.

Black dress

Yvonne’s senior thesis collection

What has been your most meaningful experience working in the CF+TC?

My most meaningful experiences have been the relationships I’ve formed working with other students. My “coworkers” have all become my dear friends and I will never forget the hours we’ve spent in the collection working on various projects together. One of the most memorable ones was when Audrey and I went through all of the hats in the collection rating and determining which ones qualified for deaccession. That was the year I became obsessed with hats and have been ever since!

What are your post-graduation plans?

I am planning on spending the summer in Paris attending a masterclass on haute couture while I figure out my next steps.

yvonne sitting on ladder in the collection