Senior Profile: Georgia Hausmann

Photo of Georgia Hausmann in button down and jeans
Georgia in exhibit case with crazy quilt and kimono

Georgia assists with the installation of “Fashion & Feathers” in September 2019.

Congrats Georgia Hausmann ’20, who has just graduated from Cornell’s College of Human Ecology with a Bachelor of Science in Fiber Science and Apparel Design (FSAD). She majored in Fashion Design Management and has worked as a research assistant in the Cornell Fashion + Textile Collection for the last two and a half years. We asked Georgia about her experience working in the collection, and this is what she had to say:

What inspired you to join the CF+TC as a research assistant?

I began working in the collection when I transferred to Cornell as a sophomore in the Fall of 2018. I heard Professor Green speak about the collection during orientation and emailed her shortly thereafter. I was so excited to be in FSAD, as it combined my love for clothing as an art while highlighting sustainability issues in the industry. The CF+TC has been such a meaningful part of my Cornell experience, as it has taught me how much life, history, and culture exist within every garment. I knew the CF+TC would teach me the power of textiles and craftsmanship, and it exceeded my expectations.

Shoulder of Aloha shirt with Bengal tiger tail print

Bengal tiger Aloha shirt, Accession number 2005.01.004. Gift of Jay Gould Schurman IV.

Bengal tiger aloha shirt, front view

Bengal tiger Aloha shirt. Accession number 2005.01.004. Gift of Jay Gould Schurman IV.

What is your favorite piece in the collection and why?

My favorite piece in the collection is a Bengal tiger Aloha shirt from the late 1940s and designed by Pauline Lake. My first project in the CF+TC was to research the history of the Aloha shirt and write a blog post. I had the pleasure of interviewing the donor of this shirt, Mr. Jay Gould Schurman  He had donated many of his original handmade silk aloha shirts with coconut buttons. This project taught me the complexities, intricacies, and melding of cultures that this shirt conveys. This is my favorite aloha we have in the collection!

What are your career goals?

I plan to work in sustainable and ethical product development especially with a focus on circular design. Many of our garments end up in landfills without the chance to biodegrade. This is mainly due to our society’s consumption habits that are promoted by clever marketing. The collection has absolutely emphasized the importance of quality and the great meaning that is held within every garment. It has helped me to understand that acquiring clothing should be a meaningful experience, not a superficial one. Therefore, I think my experiences in the collection will push me to produce only alongside people and companies that have either an artful or truly sustainable mission.

Georgia with graduation cake and embroidered coat

The embroidered coat Georgia would want to donate from her wardrobe.

If you were to donate one item from your personal wardrobe to the collection, what would it be and why?

I have a black cotton jacket that is embroidered with blue, green, yellow, and brown threaded designs. I thrifted it my freshman year when I went to the American University of Paris. The jacket was made in India according to the label. It is a jacket I bought on a whim, and it has really become a staple in my wardrobe. I think my friends both hate it and love it simultaneously.

What has been your most meaningful experience working in the CF+TC?

I worked in the CF+TC during the transition to our newly renovated space. My most meaningful experience working in the CF+TC has to be the hours I spent with my coworkers deaccessioning hundreds of garments we were getting rid of to accommodate our new space. We sifted through clothing for months untagging and tagging countless garments. We listened to music and chatted and found hidden treasures in the depths of the collection. Eventually we had a giant “pay what you wish” sale in the commons: so many people showed up and appreciated the event. It was a tedious and long job but seeing how much joy it brought our community made it all worth it.

What are your post-graduation plans?

Post graduation I will be taking some time to volunteer on a farm producing either wool or natural dyes along with vegetables. I am passionate about sustainability and agriculture, so I want to take some time to learn from different people in this field. It is safe to say that my plan is that I do not really have a plan. I have been in contact via Zoom with many professionals in fields that interest me and plan to continue to work with them after next semester. I am definitely excited to see where my interests and experiences take me!