January 28, 2015

Sun!  So we are all happier even with the cold.  I hope you have sun where you are, too.

Want a winter hike to see more trees?  The Plantations is hosting “Meet the Conifers” in Ithaca this Saturday.

The Xerces webinar on Conservation Biological Control yesterday was quite good!  I learned some things – including that it is archived if you want to watch it yourself.  Scroll a short way down to: Conservation Biological Control: Habitat management to control pests.  Lots of practical examples – even if they are specific to Christmas trees.

One thing I learned?  Construct beetle banks  – raised beds planted with grasses –  to encourage ground beetles that will then move into your crop to feed on bad beasts.

And speaking of bad beasts – and how to identify them.  Virginia Tech has a page for identifying insects and mites (and do you remember how many legs an adult mite has – from class?)    Fact sheets and scouting information.  Remember that the calendars are for Virginia – a tad warmer than here.

I was told several times at the CTFANY meeting that I like bugs too much.  With cute little beetle feet like these, how can you not? And someone is studying them to figure out how they can stick to surfaces and not fall off.

Beetle feet

Beetle feet

May all your beetles be good beetles!

Have a good week!