Alumni Q&A: Eugene Kettler

Eugene Kettler graduated from CIPA in 2012 with an MPA concentrated in Public and Nonprofit Management.  Originally from West Virginia, he is an alumnus of Teach For America and interned at The Education Alliance in Charleston, South Carolina between his first and second years at CIPA.  Eugene is currently employed as a Senior Outcomes Architect for Bridegpoint Education in San Diego, California. 

1. Why CIPA?  There are a lot of MPA programs around—what made you choose CIPA over other programs you were considering?

CIPA offered the flexibility, reputation, and community I was looking for in a graduate program. While I applied to a number of schools, a simple visit to Ithaca and Caldwell Hall was all I needed to make my decision. As I met with the program director, he emphasized the sense of community at CIPA. He told a story of an individual in the program whose family lived in Haiti during a recent earthquake. His hometown was devastated and was unable to reach his family.  The CIPA family banded together to raise the money to send him back to his homeland to be with his family.  Many other programs I visited focused on their funding and placement statistics, while CIPA made it apparent that I would be joining a community of individuals dedicated to working together to improve and support each other in their current and future endeavors. At CIPA I was part of a family, not just another statistic.

2. What are your long-term career goals?  How did CIPA help prepare you for these?

I joined CIPA to gather the skills necessary to support the reform of education in America through policy creation and adoption. At CIPA I was introduced to the world of consulting and support through courses delivered by Laurie Miller. These courses introduced me to a career in which I could work with a number of institutions and individuals to help develop innovative educational solutions for improving teaching and learning. The skills I obtained at CIPA helped me secure a position as Senior Outcomes Architect for Waypoint Outcomes (Bridgepoint Education), which allows me to work directly with clients in securing and preparing them for use of our dynamic document markup and feedback tool.

In the future I would like to pursue a career in politics where I can directly affect policy and educational decisions that will have an effect on all students in America, and perhaps the world. Without CIPA, these aspirations would not be possible.

3. What are the top three reasons that CIPA was a good fit for you?

CIPA provides students (1) the flexibility to tailor their degree to their specific career goals while providing a solid foundation that can be translated into a very successful career. Such flexibility allows individuals the opportunity to discover and pursue the career that is best for them. Additionally, (2) the ability to study under and work with the world’s foremost experts in policy and public management provides unique educational experiences and networking opportunities that cannot be found at any other program. Studying at a top-notch university like Cornell and having the ability to enroll and participate in courses across campuses will bolster your knowledge and your resume. Lastly, (3) in joining CIPA you become part of a family in which not only staff and faculty members, but your fellow Fellows work closely with you to ensure that you are successful, comfortable, and valued. Whether it’s weekly study groups, pot-lucks, or community-service events, the sense of community you find at CIPA is unmatched.

4. Are there any particular “stand out” experiences at CIPA that made a lasting impact on you?

Every moment spent in Ithaca was “stand out,” but if I had to narrow it down to one or two events I would have to cite participation in Laurie Miller’s consulting and capstone courses. In both courses I worked closely with a group of CIPA Fellows to solve problems and recommend solutions to individuals seeking assistance in policy, management, or another area of need. These experiences were useful in that I was able to apply the skills gained in other courses to the consulting engagement in Laurie’s courses. Additionally, I was able to gain or refine management, negotiation, communication, and organizational skills. Most importantly, the courses allowed my classmates and I to make a real, immediate impact and give back to individuals who were working to serve their communities.

5. Is there anything else about the CIPA program, about the opportunities here, or about your particular experience that you would like to share with prospective students?

The decision to attend CIPA was one of the best I’ve ever made. During my time in Ithaca, I made connections with hundreds of interesting individuals who share my interests and ambitions, many of whom I’m sure I will stay in contact with for years to come. Additionally, the skills I acquired have helped me mature, understand the importance of policy and management, and secure a job in the field of education.

One thought on “Alumni Q&A: Eugene Kettler

1. I’m touched by the story that CIPA family helped out the fellow from Haiti. You’re very right, it’s not only about placement that we students care about, but also to what extent we will enjoy our stay here.

Thx for the post;)