Admissions Ambassador: Morgann Ross

“I hope you own a warm coat!” was the most common phrase uttered when I told my friends I was applying to graduate school at Cornell University. Despite hearing about harsh winters, I decided to research the Cornell Institute for Public Affairs (CIPA) program for my continued studies. Through my research and talking with fellows, I learned that CIPA has the unique ability to mold phenomenal leadership through rigorous coursework and targeted professional development. Having a bachelor’s degree in political science from Spelman College, I wanted a program that would allow me to strengthen my quantitative skills.  I was pleased to learn that the CIPA program provided fellows with a wide range of courses that could expose me to quantitative analysis.

In addition, it was my aim to find a program that would provide the perfect balance of theory and practice. This is where CIPA surpassed all other programs I was considering. CIPA provides numerous opportunities for Fellows to merge theory with practice. For example, fellows can take a CIPA core course in emerging markets and then apply to participate in a practical consulting experience over winter break. CIPA’s encouragement for students to apply learned studies to real world experiences is unparalleled!

My time as a CIPA fellow has thus far been amazing. I have strengthened my leadership skills, explored my scholarly and professional interests and built life-long relationships…oh, and I have also purchased a few warm coats!

Morgann Ross is a Second-Year CIPA Fellow concentrating in Economics and Financial Policy.  She can be reached at mcr225@cornell.edu.