Week 7: 7/12-7/18: “Long Hiatus: Return of the King”

A 3 Dimensional display of voting data from the 2016 elections
a Spatial distortion version of the voting data from 2016

Hello everyone, I’d like to start this off with a formal apology on dropping off the face of the planet in regards to my blog posts, I COULD make the argument that the toll of my summer classes combined with moving into a new apartment and my work are all to blame, but I don’t think that’s a fair claim and it seems like the easy way out, I’m just going to say I’m sorry and move on from here.

ALRIGHT, so quick recap, on this particular week back in July, I spent much of the week attending the Esri User’s Conference between and after class lectures, and I must say that the amount of creativity that can be leveraged using ArcGIS Online is truly incredible.

some of my favorite particular meetings were the ‘Designing Thematic Maps’ and ‘Living Atlas: Demographics for Visualization and Analysis’ seminars. In the thematic maps seminars, they showed us several different ways to represent spatial data using creative symbology, including techniques such as spatial distortion (very cool, not the best way of representing data I’d say.)  the speakers spent most of the meeting addressing the pros and cons of different visual displays, (ie. using 3D symbology for ‘wow’ factor vs. the issues with the effective display of all the data because of the perspective at which one views the map).

I also happened to attend a few of the conferences for some of the more technical parts of the software, more specifically the seminar detailing how to  effectively share maps and collaborate with a team as this was a problem that our team ran into previously this summer. Additionally, I’m happy to report that I found some time to test out an extraction of chlorophyll for the GIS Play day coming up, using spinach and isopropanol, I was able to effectively create a green pigmented paint, however getting it to fluoresce brightly is still in the works and remains to be fleshed out in greater detail.

the green pigment I made from my Chlorophyll extraction! the Fluorescence of the paint unfortunately was not as bright as I had hoped it would be, but we’ll be perfecting this later.

Alright, onto the next week! sorry again about being so delayed in the rollout of these posts, I’ll be more on the ball from here on out, I promise