Week 12

This week was my last week of the internship, and it was my second visit to Oko Farms. On Wednesday I went to set the traps, and noticed the farm had a lot more of the fish and other aquaponics components added since the last time I had visited. The farm and all the crops all looked amazing, and very little visible pest and disease present. Here are some pictures of the farm:

View of Oko Farms raised beds in front of the water    Raised beds of Oko Farms      Plants in containers at Oko Farms

Here are some close-ups of the set traps:

Pan traps next to brassica     Pitfall traps in raised bed

Even though it was extremely hot (95 degrees) the days I set and collected the traps, I luckily did not have any issues with evaporation, and the insect counting and sorting went well. Since it was my last day of the internship in NYC, my supervisor Yolanda joined me to help with counting:

Yolanda sorting bugs from the traps

Yolanda and I also made videos to explain how to set and collect the insect traps as engagement and social media materials to share with growers, so they can set insect traps on their own.

Overall, I had an amazing experience completing this internship, and will miss visiting all the farms and interacting with the growers. I learned so much about urban farming, insect identification, insect trap setting and creating engaging content for growers, and would like to thank everyone who helped me with the project: Amara Dunn, Elizabeth Lamb, Sam Anderson, Yolanda Gonzalez and Kelly Guevara, for all their help and hard work.